Monday 23 December 2013

Merry Christmas from Gorgs Geikie


It's been a hectic close to the year! December started on a high as the final of Shooting4England climaxed on Sunday 1st. This, a competition I've been organising throughout the year across the South West, inspiring young people into the sport of shooting after London 2012.

Those who qualified from Dorset, Somerset, Cornwall and Devon were invited back to the central location of Okehampton Smallbore Rifle Club. It was great to see both young ladies and gentleman from a Pony Club background handling their competition nerves to steal the show! Just the root to shooting success that I took!

The competition was originally open to all and involved me going into schools in each of the areas, delivering an assembly and inspiring young people to come and have a go at a sport they perhaps had never tried before. It took place in Dorset, South Devon and North Devon and concluded at Okehampton for the last qualification day and then Regional Final on Sunday 1st December. It was therefore open to all, but as the year evolved, it was evident that a great majority of young people interested in the shooting competition were from pony club backgrounds. In 2014 I see the competition developing if there is still an interested audience.

December also took me to my first international competition of the 2013/14 season, in Luxembourg, with three match opportunities and therefore three opportunities to expose myself to international match pressure. Then home for Christmas and to see the new year in with friends and family.

When it comes to my own competition preparations in 2014, I'm attempting to qualify for the English Team at the Commonwealth Game in July. In the spring I plan to compete in Germany predominantly, at minor Internationals. There I hope to not only gain invaluable match pressure practice, but also to gain the necessary scores for English and GBR selection. Next year I hope to continue in sports development, through shooting and Modern Pentathlon, as well as the Support and mentoring Programme in Schools.

Many thanks to everyone at Helpful Holidays - staff and customers - for continuing to follow my progress. Merry Christmas and a happy, successful new year.